James was part of Kellogg, Fox & Washburn utnil 1839, Kellogg & Fox from 1839-1840 and J. Kellogg & Son from 1865-1867. William Kellogg, his son, continued to use his mark after his retirement in 1867
Kellog's first company was purchased from Eli Dickinson and became a wildly successful manufacturer of planes. At one point, a portion of Amherst was called "Kelloggville" and was occupied by two of his factories; even producing 150 to 200 planes a day, they were often unable to fill all the orders they received. They are often deemed the highest quality planes ever manufactured on a large scale and collectors abound on the internet praising their worth. In 1886, the dam supplying power for the factories was washed away and production remained idle for several years.
Nelson, Robert E., Ed. (1999). Directory of American Toolmakers: A listing of identified makers of tools who worked in Canada and the United States before 1900. Early American Industries Association.
/PDFsforInventory/WebVaIRmachinists_PDF.pdf -- contains a listing of a trisquare possibly manufactured by S.A. Jones & Co.